The Underground Railroad Museum is located in Flushing, Ohio. The Underground Railroad Museum features an extensive collection of publications, books, memorabilia and other articles. The museum was founded in 1993 by the late Dr. John Mattox and his late wife, Rosalind to preserve the past for future generations. The exhibits portray what is known about slavery and the Underground Railroad in Ohio, and presents an understanding of the culture in the 1800's. Much of the information and artifacts Mattox has gathered came from local sources. Mattox and the museum were accepted to the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program.
Visitors to the museum are encouraged to tell him their own stories and to ask questions as they observe the vast collection of objects, artifacts and documents of the three-story building. The goal of the museum is to demonstrate what we all have in common today rather than placing blame and to prompt young people to seek additional awareness and wisdom. The Ohio Valley area was very active in the Underground Railroad during the 19th century, having been home to many Quaker settlers who were passionate abolitionists.
Hours are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11am - 3pm EST, and on Saturdays by appointment only. Feel free to contact us by phone at 740-968-2080 or 740-391-3135 to schedule an appointment.
To Our Visitors....
2019 Rubberneck Tour and Celebration of Life Ceremony for Dr. John Mattox (Curator and Founder) of the Underground Railroad Museum in Ohio Valley.
Dr. John Mattox Freedom Fund Memorial Award Recipient Recognition!
ST. CLAIRSVILLE — Six local museums each received $3,000 during a recent awarding of grants by the Belmont County Tourism Council.